Utility bills are constant expenses that you can’t really get rid of. Still, you can lower them by following a few simple tips, such as these for saving water:
- Turn off the shower while you soap-up your body.
- Turn off the faucet while you brush your teeth.
- Use a cup of hot water to shave instead of a constantly-running shower or faucet.
- Run the dishwasher only when it’s full.
- Wash clothes when your washing machine is full.
- Look for and fix water leaks in your garden hose or any other spots in the house.
Here are similar tips that will help you save electricity to keep those monthly utility costs as low as possible:
- Turn off the lights when you leave the house, or they’re not actively used by anyone.
- Unplug appliances that can use electricity even when they’re not turned on.
- Use a fan to stay cool and turn up your AC a little higher since fans cost less to operate.
- Turn down the AC a few degrees when you’re not home. Don’t turn it off, however, since it takes more electricity to crank up and cool.
- Buy a programmable thermostat to make the above tip much easier to complete and remember when you’re away.
- Keep your AC vents and filters clean, so they don’t have to work as hard to function.