House To Home Moving Blog
From cleaning your storage space to taking inventory of your belongings, here’s what you need to do to prepare to pack and organize a storage unit.
Make sure you have enough space in your storage unit.
If you’ve already booked a storage unit, you need to double check that your belongings will fit before you start packing the storage unit. You don’t want to start packing and organizing your storage unit only to return home with half your belongings when they don’t fit.
Create a list of how much furniture you’ll be packing in your storage unit, plus a rough estimate of the number of boxes and other items that you’ll need to make fit. Consider how much space these items will take up, and then compare it to the space available. Will it all fit, or do you need to prioritize and get rid of some things? Remember, you can fit a lot in when packing and organizing a storage unit, you just have to plan well.
Check if your storage unit is climate-controlled.
Whether or not you’ve rented a space that is climate controlled will have an impact on how you pack and organize your storage unit. If your storage unit is indoors and climate controlled, you’ll spend less time packing your belongings for maximum protection. The climate control technology will protect your belongings from mildew and other weather-related damages. However, if your storage unit is not climate-controlled, ask yourself if it’s worth the risk to store items like expensive clothing, electronics, and instruments in your storage unit. If you do decide to store these items, you need to be extra careful with how you pack these items in your storage unit.
Thoroughly clean your storage unit.
Before deciding how to pack your storage unit, make sure it’s clean and free of damage. Examine the unit’s walls and roof for cracks, sharp edges, and leaks. Then, sweep the floor. If you want to be extra cautious, scrub the walls and floor with soap or a disinfectant. If your unit is not climate controlled or is outdoors, you may want to lay a tarp or wooden pallets on the ground to help protect your belongings from weather and pests.
Clean everything that’s going into the storage unit.
If you store something while it’s dirty, it’s only going to be dirtier when you unpack it two, four, or twelve months later. Before you decide how to pack and organize your storage unit, don’t forget to scrub, wash, and dust your belongings.
- Saved by House to Home Moving company!
- They even gave me a senior discount
- They will ease your stress during a difficult time
- Things To Do After Moving
- Jose walked me through a virtual estimate
- We would definitely use House to Home again!
- Documents To Collect Before Your Move
- Thank you all!
- They were excellent
- I will hire them again for any future in town moves I have.
- I was treated with such respect and care that I had to share.
- Wonderful experience with this moving company!
- House to Home was great !!
- Great job guys!! You exceeded our expectations!
- They work HARD and take pride in providing the best experience for their customers.
- Thanks House to Home, Jack, Sergio, and Jeremiah for such a great job!
- I am so happy with your movers
- Thanks for a job well done
- We would recommend them to anyone!
- I had the best experience ever
- Assisted living facility
- Sacramento to Palm Desert
- Great to work with!
- The House to Home moving team was fantastic!
Search All Posts
- November 2022 (2)
- October 2022 (3)
- September 2022 (5)
- August 2022 (4)
- July 2022 (10)
- June 2022 (6)
- May 2022 (5)
- April 2022 (6)
- March 2022 (5)
- February 2022 (2)
- January 2022 (3)
- December 2021 (1)
- November 2021 (3)
- October 2021 (4)
- September 2021 (1)
- August 2021 (1)
- July 2021 (3)
- June 2021 (6)
- May 2021 (3)
- April 2021 (6)
- March 2021 (4)
- February 2021 (1)
- January 2021 (1)
- December 2020 (4)
- November 2020 (1)
- October 2020 (1)
- September 2020 (3)
- August 2020 (5)
- July 2020 (8)
- June 2020 (4)
- May 2020 (9)
- April 2020 (6)
- March 2020 (8)
- February 2020 (4)
- January 2020 (12)
- December 2019 (7)
- November 2019 (7)
- October 2019 (13)
- September 2019 (11)
- August 2019 (12)
- July 2019 (21)
- June 2019 (13)