How to Pack Collectables
Collections of any size can be a bit overwhelming to move. You not only have to decide what pieces to take, but you also have to properly pack the things you’ve spent so much time and money collecting. The good news is that keeping your belongings in good condition is possible with a few steps.
Coins and other currency
It may be best to keep high-value with you during transit or hire an armored transport, like Brinks or Loomis. If you decide to move the collection, check with your homeowner’s insurance company to determine whether it’s covered during transit (and consider adding a policy if not).
To pack currency, wrap items in packing paper and place in boxes. Fill any extra spaces in the boxes with crumpled packing paper, so nothing moves during transit. For heavy items like coins, watch the box weight. Keep boxes under 40 lbs. to make them easier to manage.
Dolls, figurines, ceramics or glass
Fragile items require a few extra precautions:
- Wrap each box or item individually in packing paper (or wrap unboxed figurines in Bubble Wrap®). Take care not to apply any tape to the collectibles, as it could damage the finish or paint.
- Wrap boxes in Bubble Wrap, paying special attention to the corners and edges.
- Prepare a large box by placing a layer of crushed packing paper at the bottom to pad the box.
- Place the wrapped boxes or items in the moving box, keeping them upright. Watch the weight of the box (we recommend 40 lbs. max) to ensure ease of lifting.
- Use crumpled packing paper to fill any gaps inside the box. Make sure there’s no wiggle room.
- Place a layer of crushed packing paper on top. This helps protect items when you cut open the moving box at destination.
- Mark the box “Fragile,” and avoid stacking heavy items on top when loading.
Baseball cards, stamps and documents
These types of items are typically in a frame or album, which should be wrapped in packing paper and placed in a moving box that’s been padded with crumpled packing paper. If items are loose, place them in an album with acid-free pages to protect them. Fill any extra space in the box with additional paper, and place more paper on top to ensure nothing shifts during transit.
For framed items, use a picture or mirror box, or wrap it well in Bubble Wrap. Loose posters can be placed in poster tubes, then packed into boxes.
- Great job guys!! You exceeded our expectations!
- They work HARD and take pride in providing the best experience for their customers.
- Thanks House to Home, Jack, Sergio, and Jeremiah for such a great job!
- I am so happy with your movers
- Thanks for a job well done
- We would recommend them to anyone!
- I had the best experience ever
- Assisted living facility
- Sacramento to Palm Desert
- Great to work with!
- The House to Home moving team was fantastic!
- Third time we used this company
- Thanks guys !!
- Very nice guys and hard workers
- Moving Options #4 Renting a Moving Container
- Made moving day a pleasant experience with their kindness, positive attitudes!
- Great move by Diego, Mesake and David
- These were the nicest, most positive guys you could ever want to meet
- We moved from Folsom to Napa
- I would definitely recommend them!
- One of the best decisions I’ve made is hiring House to Home movers!!
- This was the best moving/movers experience we ever had
- House to Home highly recommend this moving company
- This has been the best move for us
- Our move came in under the estimate
Search All Posts
- July 2022 (10)
- June 2022 (6)
- May 2022 (5)
- April 2022 (6)
- March 2022 (5)
- February 2022 (2)
- January 2022 (3)
- December 2021 (1)
- November 2021 (3)
- October 2021 (4)
- September 2021 (1)
- August 2021 (1)
- July 2021 (3)
- June 2021 (6)
- May 2021 (3)
- April 2021 (6)
- March 2021 (4)
- February 2021 (1)
- January 2021 (1)
- December 2020 (4)
- November 2020 (1)
- October 2020 (1)
- September 2020 (3)
- August 2020 (5)
- July 2020 (8)
- June 2020 (4)
- May 2020 (9)
- April 2020 (6)
- March 2020 (8)
- February 2020 (4)
- January 2020 (12)
- December 2019 (7)
- November 2019 (7)
- October 2019 (13)
- September 2019 (11)
- August 2019 (12)
- July 2019 (21)
- June 2019 (13)