Tips on Getting Moving Quotes
Do not sign blank documents
Don’t sign blank or incomplete estimates, and do not use any moving company that asks you to do so. If the mover asks you to sign incomplete documents the day of the move, tell it you need to reschedule and then use a different moving company. A mover can scam you by having you sign an incomplete estimate and then adding charges you never agreed to.
Choose companies that charge based on weight
Most legitimate movers charge based on the shipment’s weight. A few moving companies charge based on the volume of your cargo, measured in cubic feet, but it’s much easier for a moving company to overcharge you this way. Your best bet is to ask how the company figures its rates and to only get complete quotes from ones that charge per pound.
Get an accurate inventory list
When it gives you the written estimate, the moving company should also provide a full inventory list of everything it will move. The inventory is sometimes called a cube sheet or table of measurements. Get a copy and check it carefully for accuracy. Make sure each piece of furniture is on the list, including smaller items like end tables. It should also include an approximate number of boxes.
Consider your moving date
The time of year significantly affects moving costs, with higher charges during the summer. When you get your quote, ask whether the price would change if you adjusted the date by a few days or weeks. Also ask how long the quote is good for. If you wait too long to book the move, you may need to get a new quote.
How to avoid an inaccurate quote
Read all your moving paperwork carefully, including your estimate. You need to read all the fine print to avoid a moving scam or unexpected expense. If anything on your estimate seems unclear, ask the moving company to provide specific details in writing. If charges seem unreasonable to you, get a quote from another company. Only sign an estimate and officially hire the mover if you feel confident in its trustworthiness.
- Great to work with!
- Third time we used this company
- Thanks guys !!
- Very nice guys and hard workers
- Moving Options #4 Renting a Moving Container
- Made moving day a pleasant experience with their kindness, positive attitudes!
- Great move by Diego, Mesake and David
- These were the nicest, most positive guys you could ever want to meet
- We moved from Folsom to Napa
- I would definitely recommend them!
- One of the best decisions I’ve made is hiring House to Home movers!!
- This was the best moving/movers experience we ever had
- House to Home highly recommend this moving company
- This has been the best move for us
- Our move came in under the estimate
- Highly Recommended? Thanks!
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ from Austen on Google Reviews
- Moving Options #3 Hiring a Moving Company
- Five ⭐’s from Lisa
- Moving Options #2 Hiring Moving Labor
- Thanks Tim for the Five ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Moving Options #1 Renting a Truck
- Moving terms (valuation)
- How to Pack Makeup
- Fair Oaks Senior Living Move ▶️
Search All Posts
- July 2022 (1)
- June 2022 (5)
- May 2022 (5)
- April 2022 (6)
- March 2022 (5)
- February 2022 (2)
- January 2022 (3)
- December 2021 (1)
- November 2021 (3)
- October 2021 (4)
- September 2021 (1)
- August 2021 (1)
- July 2021 (3)
- June 2021 (6)
- May 2021 (3)
- April 2021 (6)
- March 2021 (4)
- February 2021 (1)
- January 2021 (1)
- December 2020 (4)
- November 2020 (1)
- October 2020 (1)
- September 2020 (3)
- August 2020 (5)
- July 2020 (8)
- June 2020 (4)
- May 2020 (9)
- April 2020 (6)
- March 2020 (8)
- February 2020 (4)
- January 2020 (12)
- December 2019 (7)
- November 2019 (7)
- October 2019 (13)
- September 2019 (11)
- August 2019 (12)
- July 2019 (21)
- June 2019 (13)