Organizing a Storage Unit
Before you find out how to pack and organize a storage unit, you need to get your storage unit ready to hold your belongings.
Inventory what you’re taking
Before your belongings get lost forever in a sea of boxes, write down a list of what’s going into the storage unit. With your inventory list in hand, you won’t have to spend hours trying to remember if your favorite winter sweater is hiding in your closet or packed away in your storage unit. Before you decide how to pack and organize your storage unit, write down what’s being moved and include the details below on that inventory list.
Organize your storage unit by priority
Remember the inventory list from earlier? Take a look at it again and highlight those items you think you’ll need most often from your storage unit. Will you need your winter coats in a few weeks? Will you want to use your golf clubs once a month? Whatever items you might need to access regularly should be stored at the front of your storage unit. On the other hand, if you’re not going to need your grandma’s dining room table until you move into a new house in two years, it can be stored in the very back corner of your storage unit.
Organize your storage unit with descriptive labels
If you want to have any hope of finding what you’re looking for in your storage unit, you’re going to need labels. For example, labels like “kitchen” are not very specific. You could easily end up with four or five different kitchen boxes and never be able to find the cookie cutters you need. Instead, label boxes with a simple list of contents: instead of “kitchen,” write “cookie cutters, pancake griddle, measuring cups, mixing bowls.”
Organize your storage unit by creating a map
If you want to make finding what you need a whole lot easier, create a storage unit map. Before you move anything in, lay out your storage unit on a piece of paper and assign every box and piece of furniture a place. Then plan a pathway throughout the storage unit so you can easily access what you need. Keep your map and when the time to recover a sweater or book comes, you can find exactly what you need in mere minutes.
- 5 Star Review from a Repeat Customer
- Thanks Mr. Wolff for the kind words
- Moving terms (Long Carry, Net Weight)
- 2020 Food Drive
- Atria Covell Gardens in Davis
- Recent 5 Star Reviews from Google
- Moving terms (Extra Stop, Flight Charge)
- Recent 5 Star Reviews from Facebook
- Thank you Liz for the 5 star review!
- Beware of Moving Brokers
- Maximizing Space for a Storage Unit
- Thanks For The Review Barbara!
- 12 things your homeowners insurance may not cover
- Organizing a Storage Unit
- What does homeowners insurance cover?
- More great reviews from our recent moves!
- Thank You For The Review Diane!
- Plan for Your Successful Garage Sale
- Five Stars From Jon
- Post Move Home Essentials
- What to Pack First When Moving
- How to move a Refrigerator
- Prepping a Storage Unit
- Thanks Kris for the Five Star Review
- Packing for a Storage Unit
Search All Posts
- February 2021 (1)
- January 2021 (1)
- December 2020 (4)
- November 2020 (1)
- October 2020 (1)
- September 2020 (3)
- August 2020 (5)
- July 2020 (8)
- June 2020 (4)
- May 2020 (9)
- April 2020 (6)
- March 2020 (8)
- February 2020 (4)
- January 2020 (12)
- December 2019 (7)
- November 2019 (7)
- October 2019 (14)
- September 2019 (11)
- August 2019 (12)
- July 2019 (21)
- June 2019 (13)